Call us today on
01535 667033

Heritage & History

Established in 1810, JOHN W. LAYCOCK Ltd. is proud to be one of the longest established firms in Keighley and one of the oldest steel service providers registered with the National Association of Steel Service Centres (NASS).

Built on the values of integrity and fair-play, it remains a family-run business, proud of its heritage and committed to providing a first class service to its customers.

Many people express interest in our long-history – you may be interested to view some of our archive documents charting the company’s proud heritage (you can find them at the bottom of the page).

Early History (1740-1810)

The Laycock family began making nails in Keighley in the 1740s. They broadened their service offering into ironmongery and in 1810 John Laycock founded the company with the vision “to supply mill furnishings, iron, steel and other branches of trade”.

Expansion during the 1800s

By the late 1800s the Company was operating with seven members of staff. In August 1893 it moved Low Street to new warehousing and offices off Rear North Street together with a ‘front’ shop on North Street offering iron, steel & wide range of ironmongery, furnishings and fittings.

Development during the 1900s

In 1915 Mr John William Laycock (Mr John Laycock’s son) established the business as a limited liability company following the death of his son Alvery. Mr John Sugden began work as an apprentice on 1st July 1886 and later became a Director of the Company. By 1934 the family-business was under the stewardship of directors’ John, Jack, Willie and Frank Sugden and retained the name and brand of JOHN W. LAYCOCK Ltd. In 2016 the business remains under the directorship of the Sugden family.

During the early 1900s the business expanded significantly and established a fireplace supply and fitting service. This was later to be discontinued but the essences of quality of service and broad product range have remained the company’s core offering. In 1979 new warehouse premises at Stockbridge were acquired to support the addition of structural sections to the product range.

Further successful development of the business during the 1980s & 90s resulted in extensions to the Stockbridge warehouse facilities in 1984 and again in 1995.

Changing times in the 2000s

The development of the business continues and in 2011 we moved out of our old home on North Street into extended warehousing facilities and new offices at the Stockbridge site. The North Street premises were sold and all operations are now conducted from Stockbridge making access easier for customers, suppliers, visitors and the team.

In 2014 the business gained CE certification for structural steel and continues to develop and improve its capability and product range to ensure a first class service to its valued customers.

Contact Us For A Quotation
Search